Wednesday, May 4, 2016

A European State of Mind

Although I've only experienced a small part of Europe and just as a traveler, not a resident, I've come to embrace a few of the habits and practices I encountered there. One of my favorites I discovered in Spain when we stayed with a friend and his Spanish wife. It's the paseo, a casual walk taken after the evening meal. While in Spain, we joined an entire community taking a paseo late at night, just after dinner.

We've been taking paseos for years now. We try to do it every evening after dinner. Although sometimes we have to take a break due to weather, it is a regular habit for us. During this evening's paseo, I discovered:

Shiitake mushrooms on our logs
Honeysuckle vines growing next to our chicken house
While the word paseo is supposed to be pronounced "pä-sāˈō," we've southernized it to "passˈ-ee-ō." It's our habit so we can call it whatever works for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment