Sunday, May 8, 2016

Learning to Love Where You Live


I admit I've had a tough time loving the community I moved to over 13 year ago. It was difficult finding people who had similar interests to mine. And it's the kind of place where, if you can, you leave. There's a brain drain here as young people go off to college and don't return. Yet over time the community has grown on me - I've found my place here.

Change is also in the air - whereas 10 or 11 years ago no one here seemed to understand the importance of healthy living or caring for the environment, our farmers' market now has a number of vendors who grow or make healthy products - and shoppers seek them out.

There are also some hidden cultural gems here. Last night I enjoyed a chamber music concert with some extremely gifted musicians. They've traveled the world, playing in some impressive venues, yet they've chosen to settle in our small community. If you think your community has nothing to offer, I suggest digging a little and you might be surprised with what turns up.

2 comments:

  1. This weekend my community hosted the 20th annual Jazz Fest & it was one of those reminders that there are some really great things happening where I live. I am getting an itch to move out of the south, but when I think about all the really cool things in my community, if/ when I do leave, there truly will be a lot that I'll miss (just not the politics).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shona, I'm learning to look at the positives of where I am and try to magnify them so that they over shadow the negatives. Ahhh politics...I've come to look at local opinions as amusing - otherwise I am a very unhappy person. :)

    ReplyDelete