Saturday, January 20, 2018

{Mornings}

Somewhere on Instagram, I ran across this meme (sorry, don't know whom to credit):



And it got me thinking. One surprising thing about myself is that I've started to enjoy getting up early, and I mean early - even on weekends! I’ve always loved my sleep - in a craved it like a drug sort of way. But a couple of years ago, I was having trouble sleeping because I had a lot on my mind. Rather than tossing and turning, I started just getting up, sometimes as early as 3:30 am. Once my struggles had passed and I didn't toss and turn at night, I realized I loved those early morning hours where I had space to think, write, read, and indulge in some comforting rituals. Now I look forward to the early mornings!

I've also read a few productivity books that talk about being an early riser - how it sets you up for success in your day. I never thought I'd say this, but I would never want to go back to the days of sleeping until the last possible second, then rushing to get ready and out the door. Who needs that! It's funny that when I was younger, one of the perks of working full time at home would be getting to sleep until that last minute then showing up at my desk in my pjs. At this stage in my life, knowing what I know now, I would never do that. In fact, if I don't have at least an hour and a half of quiet time before starting my work day, I feel cheated somehow. I highly recommend giving this practice a try.

2 comments:

  1. I actually recently started getting up earlier back in November. It hasn't been easy for me (I've never had a normal sleeping schedule, even as a child) but I'm getting so much better! I love getting up at 6am-7am now. My days are so full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, it definitely has made my days better! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm slooowly getting back into the habit. :)

    ReplyDelete